Saturday, February 19, 2011

Experimental Calzone

Pizza dough in the freezer and a drawer full of cheese called out for calzones. For one, I went more traditional. I spooned leftover fennel tomato sauce, shreds of pecorino cheese, sliced salami, chopped parsley and basil onto half the crust, sealed the edges and brushed the top with olive oil and a sprinkle of corse salt (I don't always do that but it did make a nice golden crust). Once I had a safety, I figured why not go more daring. I layered prosciutto, sliced mushrooms, Tomme de Crayeuse cheese, and slivers of butter on top of the crust. I placed the ingredients with a space in the middle and cracked an egg in the center before I quickly closed the dough and again brushed the top with olive oil and a shower of Maldon salt. Consider the experiment, my French inspired Calzone, a success. Tomato sauce? Waiting in the fridge (minus a bite) to be a late night snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment