Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Freezer Cleaning Soup

I've been nursing a cold. And I'm nearly on my way out of town again. I like to leave James easy to find and easy to reheat meals in the freezer when I am away from home so I needed to make a little room. I took out the bag of chicken backs and bones and various parts not cooked for dinner and a collection of turkey bones and some meat from a roasted bird. I dumped the meats into a stock pot, added celery, carrot, onion, bay leaf and peppercorns and let the liquid simmer until I had a rich stock.
I strained the sock and started a clean pot with chopped onion, clever, leek, garlic, and carrot sautéing in olive oil. After about 8 minutes I added in the strained stock and brought the liquid briefly to a boil. At this point I thickened the soup with leftover gravy (also cleaned out of the freezer). Handfuls of cubed potatoes and chopped cabbage went in and the pot was allowed to simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes were tender. I finished the soup with cooked noodles and chopped meat (reserved from the stock pot).
Hearty, warm dinner and a clean freezer. The perfect way to get over a cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment