Monday, February 24, 2014

Special Doesn't Have to Take All Day

Clams are my dinner time secret weapon.
Chorizo is my favorite flavor boosting ingredient.
Chorizo and clams are a natural pair.
James love potatoes.
I put all three into one easy dinner dish.
First I cooked the chorizo in some olive oil to render the delicious red fat and crisp the sausage slices. I removed the sausage rounds from the pot and added in 1 sliced onion and a couple crushed cloves of garlic. After just a few minutes I added in fingerling potatoes cut into thick slices and chunks along with slices of briny sweet pickled peppers. The onions, peppers, garlic and potatoes cooked partially covered over medium heat (with a dash of chili peppers, salt and black pepper) for about 25 minutes until the spuds were almost tender. Then I poured in 1/2 cup chicken broth (knowing we were about to leave town again I didn't want to open a bottle of wine for just 1/2 a cup) and the scrubbed clams and covered the pot over high heat until the clams were just opened (about 7 minutes) and we had tasty broth for dunking crusty bread.
Clams seem special but couldn't be easier or much quicker to cook. "This is soooo good," James kept saying.
You can bet I'll bring home clams again.

No comments:

Post a Comment