Sunday, September 1, 2013

I Love Leftovers

I hate to admit it but some of you may remember I made a pork roast last week that just was not so good. Oh it was edible but certainly not the dinner I'd hoped for and not one James would be anxious to see again.
And yet --as it goes with dinners that aren't so good -- we had a lot left over. Originally when I looked at that pork roast I thought tacos and veered away thinking it was too easy and obvious an answer. This time tacos would save me. The first time around the meat was tough. In its second time around I knew slow cooking with lots of liquid would help turn that leftover roast into tender taco morsels.
I started with onions, hot peppers and garlic in a pan with hot olive oil and let them cook until a bit soft. Then I added in the roast, now cut into smaller than single bite cubes, along with chili powder, chili peppers, oregano, cumin and paprika. After just a few minutes I added in 1/2 a jar of tomatillo salsa I found in the fridge,  about 1 cup of chicken broth and a splash of hot sauce and let everything simmer slowly until the now tender pork was coated with a spicy, flavorful sauce.
Resting in a warm tortilla, topped with onions cilantro and cheese a past pork mishap quickly became second helping tacos. Taco salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment