Friday, January 3, 2014

Cheesezilla

Several years ago my friend Shari and I dabbled in home cheesemaking. There were tomes, farmstead cheddars, chèvres, mozzarellas and our last effort, a home version of manchego. We lovingly tucked away our efforts in a wine cooler James bought me to store cheese and turned and aged and then ate our prizes with family and friends. Except for one. I'm not sure how it happened but the lonely little manchego kept escaping dinner. I thought about it many times but before I knew it this little wheel was nearly five years old and had been carried North in a cooler when we moved.
Shari is a neighbor once again and to start 2014 off with a bang we broke into our long stored cheese. Quite aged and dry the wheel crumbled under the knife like an aged parmesan with a similar trademark salty sourness. I can't say anyone is lining up to taste our vintage cheese at this point more science exhibit that culinary delight but it wasn't bad, no one died from the taste and this simple success may invite more cheese making adventures. Long live cheesezilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment