Sunday, January 5, 2014

You Can't Quite Call It Pizza

James loves pizza and over the years it's been a pretty regular (a homemade version of course) feature on our dinner table. Since going gluten free James says he isn't so achy and his back feels better so I can't argue it's something worth pursuing but pizza is one of gluten free's many casualties.
A couple years ago uber chef Thomas Keller, a personal hero, started to market a gluten free flour called Cup 4 Cup based on the mixture he uses for gluten free rolls at his Yountville restaurants. More recently the flour was joined by a Cup 4 Cup pizza dough mix. The C4C products are easily double the price of any other gluten free mixes and flours. But for James and for pizza I thought I'd give it a try. I popped the little red bag in my cart and headed home with a smile.
I think I followed the directions. I did exactly as Chef Keller's instructions prescribed. And yet, the result is more of a rolled crisp bread than a pizza crust.
"Think of it as elaborate cheese and crackers" I said as I handed James his plate.
Maybe, I'm thinking, it just can't be done. If Thomas Keller can't devise a real chewy acceptable substitute for pizza dough I am willing to believe it can't be done. If he can't do it, I'm not sure I should try.
Tasty enough but not pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment