Monday, May 4, 2015

An American Classic

Dinner for a working man.
James has been out putting up insulation and walls in the new little barn/ farm office (I call it the Man Palace) so I figured the least I could do was a hearty dinner to replace some of those calories spent. Chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes covered in cream pan gravy.
It's the kind of dish I love to make but honestly I can't make it too often. Pity. It goes together quickly. Never fails to please. Is Affordable. And, let's face it -- is delicious. But Oh, the damage it can do to an innocent waistline.
Using sides of cube steak (cube steak is machine tenderized beef) about 1/4" thick I first dipped them in seasoned flour and then in beaten eggs (with a  little milk whisked in). After the eggs, the steaks took one more dip in the flour and went right onto a pan holding a shallow cover of hot oil. As one side turns golden brown I turned the steaks until the other side browned deliciously and set the steaks aside while I made the gravy.
I wish I could tell you how much of what I used. Some how a dinner like this just cries out to be brought together by feel not measurements. I poured out most of the remaining fat from the skillet and sprinkled in a dash of flour and let it cook for a couple minutes. Then I poured in enough milk to get a creamy consistency, seasoned the gravy with salt and pepper and served it up piping hot.
Crispy. Crunchy. Salty. Creamy. Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment