Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Spinach Spaghetti w Mushroom Ragu (Ragout?)

Spaghetti everyday and yet we never get tired of it.
Every now and then I try to do something a little different. The cooler weather has brought a mushroom seller to our local farmer's market -- I spied those brown paper bags in the fridge and another weekday dinner was born.
I crisped up a little pancetta in some olive oil and set it aside. To the same oil (and the rendered fat) I added a mix of chopped mushrooms and about 1 TB of butter. When the mushrooms were soft and slightly browned I tossed in one chopped shallot, 2 chopped cloves garlic, and a bout a tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves. When the shallot was softened I added in about 1/4 cup of marsala wine and cooked (scraping up the born bits from the bottom) until the wine was evaporated. Next went in about 3/4 cup of cream with plenty of S&P, and I cooked for a few minutes until the sauce was thickened.
When the spaghetti was just cooked I added the pasta, a bit of the cooking water, and the reserved pancetta back to the pan and gave it a good toss over medium heat to just combine the flavors.
That's the quickest answer to "what's for dinner" I can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment