Saturday, September 5, 2009

Vegetarian Tacos

I know it's hard to believe but lately it has been so hot that I haven't been in the mood to cook or shop or do just about anything (except search for ice cream in the freezer). So lately I've been scratching my head trying to come up with dinners that use things we have in the house and don't need the oven. His highness has sworn off chicken again (I think Roscoe's is probably still the exception that proves the rule). The big man always stays away from lamb, and pork that isn't smoked or cured or stuffed into sausage never gets more then a fleeting glance so some days it feels like a monumental struggle to piece together a tasty dinner.
Tonight's refridge recon brought some corn on the cob, zucchini, tomato puree (from our homegrown tomatoes -- I pureed and froze it a couple weeks ago when we were leaving town), and a couple of lonley tomatillos. Presto change-o -- vegetarian tacos with fresh tomatillo salsa based on a recipe from LA's Lotteria Grill.
First I toasted the corn kernels in a bit of oil and set them aside, next into the skillet were thinly sliced onion which I let cook until soft and when just starting to brown I stirred in a little chopped garlic. Next I added the tomato purée to the onions and let them simmer for 10 minutes or so. Then I added chopped zucchini and let the mixture cook until the zucchini was soft and tender. Just before serving I added in the corn, a pinch of oregano, a little hot sauce, and black pepper and cooked through for a few minutes.
To serve -- spoon the filling into warm corn tortillas (for most people, but flour for James -- he just can't warm up to corn tortillas), top with mild cheese and a drizzle of fresh tomatillo salsa (4-5 tomatillos, jalapeño, 1 small onion, 2 cloves garlic, a handful of cilantro, juice of one lime and just enough water to make it salsa -- all whirled together in the blender).

No comments:

Post a Comment