Monday, October 24, 2011

Crock Pot Roast

I'm still a bit unsure about our new oven. I didn't want to chance an oven braise but I did want a worry-free, long cooking, prepare in advance dish for dinner. One pot to wash would be a plus in our new dishwasher-less world. No dishwasher and no spices . . . and still dinner must be made.
I spotted a link of hard chorizo in the fridge and thought that would add some flavor where spice was missing. I chopped that up and let it sauté/ render in a pan until just a bit crisp and then added the chorizo to the crock pot along with several chopped cloves of garlic, 2 sliced onions, 2 small carrots (peeled and cut in to 2 inch lengths), fresh thyme, and fresh bay leaves. I browned the meat (a large piece of boneless chuck) in the fat from the rendered chorizo and placed it over the onions in the pot. Since I had a good bunch of "wild" mushrooms I chopped them up and added them to my pot roast in the making. I covered it all with red wine and set the crock pot on high for about 6 hours. When dinnertime came around all I had to do was boil some spuds for a quick batch of olive oil mashed potatoes and put dinner on a plate.
The challenge of a new kitchen.
Cook 1 kitchen 0 . . . so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment