Friday, February 24, 2012

Mercado de la Ribera: A Proper Market Since 1929


I admit it, I think that idea they have in Madrid of turning market buildings into gathering places and food courts isn't bad, but the cook in me rebels and cries out for real places where real people buy real groceries (for real prices). I found it in Bilbao. A modern (it's right on a subway stop -- great planning) and still classic market packed with shoppers (cooks) as time approaches to head home and cook up something fresh for lunch all of the fish counters are packed. It's not the biggest market I've ever been to. But it's big enough. There's nothing for a tourist here (unless you are looking for great picnic goods). No totebags printed with Mercado de la Ribera. No stands where you can stop for a snack. Just aisles of meat, fish, cheese, ham (of course -- it's still Spain), vegetables, and more parceled out by vendors who know their customer's names.
Heading in from the street
Chicken ready for sale

Vegetables out of the main area> perhaps these are locals and not stand owners who have set up wares for sale
I little stuffed goat marks these rounds of aged goat cheese.
All manner of olives.Beautiful shrimp
Fresh scallops in the shell-- I am aching for my kitchen now
Vegetables and fruits
Cured meats and ham -- of course
Barnacles for the braveWild boar advertised here with the birds
Oddly enough only one bread stand
A yellow eggy bread I didn' recognize, sold by the slice (well hunk). I took one home.

Busy case at the bread stand
Salt Cod for cooking and in salads for tapas at home
Fresh beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment