Monday, February 27, 2012

Pintxos At Cafe Bar Bilbao

I came around a corner in the old part of Bilbao and was suddenly face to face with the joyful noise that inhabits Cafe Bar Bilbao. A homey hodge-podge of blue and brown tiles, it's friendly and inviting and I walked right in.
Based on my clearly circumstantial observation, paying fair homage to the local soccer team may be a liquor license requirement. I have not wandered into a single doorway not flying the flag, hanging posters, dressing children in the uniform, or watching highlights on TV. Pintxos, I have to admit, are great finger food -- might just be the perfect fan meal.
Now resigned to my pathetic pointing I motion towards a slice of ham topped with mushrooms and something green. I assume it's spinach until I into this burst of flavor and realize today's jamon is topped with delicious Pimientas de Padron. Lightly fried and heavily salted peppers. This might be the best bite of my trip.
I resist the urge to eat the entire tray of pepper topped ham and bring over a squid croquette, topped with a not merely decorative piece of fried squid.
There's a reason this place is crowded and everyone looks happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment