Friday, July 5, 2013

We Love Clams

Clams are a treat around here. James loves them and I love that they fit easily into a one pot dinner. Home run taste and not too many dishes to tackle.
Tonight, eyeing the bountiful kale coming up in the garden, I decided on a slightly Portuguese theme. I had linguica, a portuguese smoked sausage often paired in a soup with kale and potatoes. I took my cue from that traditional soup and set out to make a clam version with plenty of flavorful sauce for dipping crusty bread.
I started -- as I often do, with plenty of olive oil and chopped garlic. I tossed the chopped sausage into the oil and let the meat just start to crisp up, adding in a good TB of oregano and a sprinkling of chili flakes. Next I poured in about 2 cups of wine, cubed potatoes, and shredded kale leaves and brought everything up to a boil. After about 7 minutes when the potatoes were half tender I added in the clams (and a little more olive oil), covered the pot and let everything steam for another 7 minutes or so until the clams were all opened. Just before serving I stirred in a little soft butter and some chopped parsley.
Rustic clam stew, hearty bread, a great way to start the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment