Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Just Potatoes

I had planned an Indian style dinner of tandoori chicken and these spiced potatoes from December Bon Appétit magazine. After a long day and his fatherly duties at dog obedience class James just wanted the potatoes.
Following the printed recipe (as closely as I ever do) I heated canola oil and dropped in 1/4 tsp each, cumin seed, fennel seed, whole fenugreek, and mustard seeds. Those spices cooked covered for about 20 seconds and then I added in a pinch of crush chiles and stirred for another 20 seconds. The potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch strips went in while the pan was still on high until they just started to crisp and brown (about 5 minutes). I added salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric, covered the pan and cooked the potatoes on medium low for about 12 minutes.
Crispy, shallow fried, spiced potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment