Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Another Diet Dinner

My latest self imposed kitchen challenge is to try and make low calorie food that actually tastes good. Food that I'm not just willing to but actually look forward to eating. Steaming is the dieter's friend but rarely adds a flavor punch. I decided to start with mussels one of my favorite foods -- and they take a long time to eat which makes you feel like you've eaten more I think. Anyway, instead of starting with a pot slicked with olive oil and butter for a white wine based sauce I went for tomatoes. I put all my sauce ingredients into the pot at once -- canned tomatoes (from our front yard patch), garlic, chopped onion, oregano, a dollop of tomato paste, a splash of chicken broth and a bit of red wine. I covered the pot and cooked over low heat until the tomatoes were soft and broken down. Then I added in the mussels and steamed for 7 minutes until the shells opened. For James I drizzled on a little olive oil and toasted some bread. For me, steamed broccoli on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment