Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chorizo And Rice

It's startling to me the creativity that living without a dishwasher brings out. It's been a long, long time since I washed dishes (all the dishes) in the sink and the array of one pot dinners that race through my mind makes me both proud and ashamed.
Tonight I took some fresh chorizo (another farmer's market find) and sautéed it in olive oil until browned, about 3 minutes. I added in a bag of shrimp (defrosted from Trader Joe's) and cooked everything for a couple minutes more until the shrimp were just turning pink. I took the shrimp and sausage out of the pan and set them aside while I added in a bit more oil, 1 chopped onion, and 3 thinly sliced cloves of garlic. I let the onion cook for about 4 minutes until nice and soft and then added in 3 1/4 cups water and 2 cups of basmati rice and brought the liquid up to a boil. I covered the pot and let the rice simmer for about 18 minutes until just cooked through. I added the chorizo and shrimp back into the pot long with 1/4 cup of chopped parsley and a little S&P, gave everything a good fluff and let the rice steam for 5 minutes more off the heat.
The pictures are still a little rough but dinner is cooing up nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment