Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Slow Cooker Brisket

I don't usually make brisket. It's generally a hefty piece of meat for two people and James claims he doesn't like it or at least that it's "not his favorite." So when a beautiful grass fed brisket came in our meat CSA box I took it as a personal challenge to make a dinner James would love and that would provide for sandwiches while I was out of town.
We are busy working in the yard, trying to get ready for the next rainstorm. I decided to use the crock pot so our dinner could bubble away with no attention from me. James loves a little hit of chili. I dug out an old food network recipe for "Southwestern" brisket and decided to improvise (or rather avoid the searing and sauce cooking that recipe called for). I sliced up two onions (one red one yellow because that's what I grabbed first) and 5 chopped cloves of garlic and put them in the bottom of the crock pot. I placed the brisket, seasoned with salt and pepper, on top and started adding the spices -- 1 TB chili powder, 2 tsp coriander, 2 tsp cumin, and a healthy dash of paprika. To balance the spice I  used about 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, a good handful of brown sugar and nearly 1/2 cup ketchup mixed with water.
"Honey, this is really good." I heard a mere 10 hours later. Not many leftovers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment