Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Holdover

Christmas ended up being a pretty lazy day around here, fresh baked sweets for breakfast, napping, halfway watching Christmas movies and the NBA game. Instead of the elaborate Norman Rockwell style dinner I'd planned James ended up eating fried eggs and ham leftover from the night before. Not exactly magazine ready.
Ignoring the blasphemy I took a knife to the prime rib and sliced it into steaks for later in the week. The brussels sprouts cook up fine any day, but I couldn't let these popovers go. I had the batter ( 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 tsp salt, 4 eggs) mixed up and waiting in the fridge. So as I prepared to pan-fry the steaks I set the oven to 450º and filled each cup of a muffin tim with about 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp of beef fat. After 5 minutes in the oven the fat was melted and hot (it would have been better if I'd pre-heated the pan before adding the fat I think) I poured in the batter and popped the popovers into the hot oven. After 20 minutes I lowered the oven temperature to 350º and let the dough cook for another 20 minutes.
What emerged were delightfully puffy, high, eggy, crusty breads that really felt like an occasion.
I was more than a little proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment