Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Time To Cook

I'm using my holiday vacation to get back into the swing of cooking and to treat James to some long overdue dinners.
Our CSA meat box from Victorian Farmstead came today. Inside were a pair of cube steaks. I'm sure there are other ways to prepare that cut but when I see cube steak I think chicken fried steak. For me it's hard to see anything but chicken fried steak.
So, though I honestly think it's been years since I made it, I whipped up a Southern/ Western style diner dinner -- chicken fried steak and cream gravy, mashed potatoes, and because we still have a fridge full of our garden harvest, kale braised with plenty of slab bacon.
It's been so long since I've made these crispy steaks I actually had to look up my recipe -- and then change it a bit of course. For our two steaks, in one bowl I beat one egg with a bit of tabasco sauce and S&P, In a second bowl I mixed about 1/2 cup of flour with garlic powder, paprika, and a dash of chili powder. I dipped the steaks in the egg and then coated them in the flour and laid them in a sizzling hot iron skillet loaded with melted bacon grease. I usually fry in oil which makes a lighter, crispier coating but tonight that smokey bacon flavor called to me. After the steaks were fried on both sides and moved to waiting plates I added the rest of the coating flour into the skillet and cooked a quick roux for the gravy that I thinned with fresh whole milk.
Steaks and cream gravy -- with just a little pickle on the side.
That's what I call vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment