Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Impulse Camellia

I couldn't resist this camellia's luxurious semi-double flowers. I had a list at the nursery today. I was determined to proceed in an orderly fashion and concentrate on the full shade foundation bed James has asked me to plant first.
With a few grasses in the car (still a little early for most of the things on my list) I went up to pay and spied this Buttermint camellia's miniature pale yellow flowers. I'm new to camellias and this variety was new to me. When the gal at the counter said it was the last one (and a variety they don't usually get) I snapped it up without thinking twice.
I've since learned that Buttermint was introduced in the late 1990's by legendary camellia and azalea growers Nuccio's of Altadena, CA. The delicate plant is known and revered for it's creamy yellow color and heady, slightly minty fragrance.
Now I just have to figure out where to put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment