Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Breakfast Treat or What To Do With Yogurt

That sour milk wasn't the only ingredient past it's prime that greeted me on my return home. The fridge held a whole tub of untouched yogurt and a bowl of apricots that surely had seen better days.
That combo screamed breakfast cake to me and I set out to whip up a morning treat for James.
I've made plenty of yogurt cakes before. They mix up quickly and the yogurt assures a tender crumb. When I have a single serving yogurt I use it as an ingredient and a make do measuring cup.
This time I happened along a recipe on a blog called In Erika's Kitchen and decided to give her version a try.
I started by marinating the cut up apricots in 1/2 cup of sugar (Erika calls for 1/4 cup but honestly I just misread it). Then in a separate bowl I whisked together 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp almond extract, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 cup yogurt and 1/3 cup canola oil. Then I added in 2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Erika says to add in the liquid released from the marinating apricots but mine were still pretty dry so I pressed on and poured half the batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan and covered it with half the apricots. I repeated with the rest of the batter and fruit and popped the cake into a 350ยบ oven for 40 minutes. I'm not sure how Erika managed to get her apricots to stay on top of the batter. Mine fell to the middle which didn't affect the taste at all.
Easy, quick, delicious, cake . . . for breakfast.



No comments:

Post a Comment