Monday, December 7, 2009

Crock Pot Ropa Vieja

Writing a blog is somewhat like being a radio DJ -- or the way I've imagined being a radio DJ must be. Sending slightly vapid thoughts about the minutia of the day out into the universe wondering (I suppose until the Neilsens come out) if anyone is listening or amused -- and yet I feel a compulsion to complete my daily on-line meals. Sigh.
If only I had more time I'd write flowery details and take pictures of every step -- perhaps one day down the road between jobs. But for now I am the picture of 1970's womanhood making friends with the crock pot and making slow cooker meals I can leave going in the morning (or have readied an ask the big man to put in the crock pot at a prescribed (by email -- it is the 2000's after all) time.
The latest creation -- Ropa Vieja -- Spanish for old clothes, is a slow cooked mix of shredded beef and peppers. I layered sirloin tip steak (I would have rather flank or skirt but we had a nice big package of sirloin) in the crock post with sliced red bell peppers, oregano, cumin, 1 sliced onion, and a large can of tomatoes (yes from our garden -- from the summer when I had more time), S&P, and let it cook for about 8 hours on low.
If it had been an energetic night I would have shredded the beef and quickly browned it in some hot oil before serving over rice with some of the tasty broth. that one's for extra credit. Instead I shredded the tender meat, piled the beef and some of the broth over rice and topped with chopped fresh onions, white cheese, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges for squeezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment