Thursday, December 10, 2009

Laundry Day?

I can't believe it's happened to me, just when I least expected it, I've become a crock pot cook. A product of the 70' s somehow wrapped up in the Women's Day magazines I read as a child -- those were the days before I discovered Gourmet (sigh -- I can't believe it's gone), getting dinner on the table in a timely manner even if I've been at work all day is a daily accomplishment I relish. And, take on as my solemn obligation.
We had some ham trimming in the fridge and I always have dried beans, so I mixed up some sliced onions, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, parsley, S&P, dried chiles and water. Turned the crockpot on low -- set the timer on the rice cooker and drove off into the world confident that dinner would be ready when James was ready.
If I'd had it I would have liked to brown some smoked sausage (it's been a big pork month) on the stove and stir it into the cooked beans . . . but for a workday weeknight . . . I admit, it was no French Laundry but it felt warm and hearty on a rainy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment