Monday, March 15, 2010

Scalloped Scallops

I've made the bistro dish Coquille St Jacques dozens of times. His Highness loves scallops and just when you think there is no way to make the tender mollusk better, the French step it by bathing the tender scallops in cream sauce tempered with sautéed mushrooms and a bit of nutty Gruyere cheese. The mixture is layered into a ramekin or more often a scallop shell and baked or broiled until the sauce is bubbly, the scallops are just barely cooked and the top is slightly crisp. Although it's a dish I've made many times I decided to change things a bit and try a new recipe. This time I looked to Thomas Keller. I'm not sure if its the time the dish waited for me (okay I took some on-line advice and actually froze the ramekins and then thawed before cooking) or the recipe itself, but I am going back to the tried and true, Anthony Bourdain's (yes that guy) cheesy creamy delicious version.
The real star of this dinner was the fresh salad -- greens from our garden, fresh strawberries from the farmers market, blood orange sections from our front yard tree (the last precious orange) slivered almonds, and a tart vinaigrette made of blood orange juice, olive oil, minced shallots, and S&P. A taste of early spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment