Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eggs For Dinner

What to make when it's already 6:30 and haven't had a thought about what to make? Eggs. We always have them (thanks girls), James loves them (especially our super fresh backyard eggs), and they cook up fast.
Instead of the usual bacon and eggs I went for an Italian egg dish, Eggs in Purgatory -- eggs poached in tomato sauce. I stirred up some red onions, garlic, pancetta and olive oil in a pan, added chunks of Italian sausage (not so traditional with this dish but still delicious), and let everything cook until tender. Then I added in a can of tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, crushed red chiles, and a pat of butter then let the sauce cook for about 15 minutes. I carefully cracked the eggs into the pan, covered the skillet and let the eggs poach for about 4 minutes. I served the eggs straight from the pan sprinkled with grated cheese and fresh basil. With toast, of course.
Countries where eggs aren't standard breakfast food have lots of interesting eggs for dinner dishes. I'm gonna start looking around to be prepared for our next eggs for dinner night.

No comments:

Post a Comment