Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Speedy Spanish Style

I'm always looking for new way to serve clams -- they are one of James' favorite things -- and ways to make fish (healthy and a calorie win but just not one of my favorites) more of a treat. This Spanish style recipe from Anya Von Bremzen's The New Spanish Table seemed just right. I heated some olive oil (about 1/4 cup) in a pan with a cover and laid in two fish filets (halibut instead of Spain's more common hake) that were seasoned and lightly dusted with flour. I browned the fish on all sides and set it aside for just a minute. Next I tossed in about 3/4 cup chopped parsley and almost a TB of minced garlic and stirred them around for a bit, just until fragrant -- not browned. Then I added 1 TB of flour and whisked that to make sure there were no lumps and poured in 1/4 cup of white wine and 1 cup of clam juice. I brought the juices to a simmer and carefully laid the fish filets back in along with about 1 cup of semi thawed frozen peas and 1 pound of Manilla clams. I covered the pot and let everything bubble over medium heat until the clams were all opened and the fish was cooked through, about 6 minutes total.
Dinner in 15 minutes brought to the table with plenty of warm bread for dipping in the delicious sauce -- and only one pot to wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment