Thursday, August 4, 2011

Eat Dessert First

Sometimes it's nice to post dessert first.
This is one of my favorite cakes to make. I call it California Upside Down Cake. I start by melting 4 TBS of butter in a heavy duty baking pan (mine is a 10 inch), then I sprinkle on 3/4 cup of brown sugar, followed by (off heat) concentric circles of stone fruits. Tonight was a mixture of green plums, nectarines, and a peach. The fruit is covered with a batter of 1 cup each butter and sugar creamed together then moistened with 2 egg yolks. Into the wet ingredients I add in a mixture of 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup almond flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt alternating with 1 cup of milk. In a separate bowl I beat the two egg whites to soft peaks and fold them into the assembled batter to lighten the cake. Once the batter is in the pan the cake bakes for 55 minutes at 350ยบ.
The flavor of our state in an easy delicious cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment