Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Simplest Spaghetti Of All

James has been away all week and I took an unexpected vacation from the kitchen. Rare.
Tonight as a homecoming meal he asked for spaghetti with a "light sauce," he said. "Maybe just some olive oil . . . and garlic," James explained. Spaghetti Aglio Olio, another Roman classic.
While the spaghetti boiled I heated a good quantity of olive oil (about 3 TB for 1/2 a package of pasta) I tossed in a large pinch of crushed red peppers and two minced cloves of garlic. After just about a minute I turned off the heat and let the garlic continue to infuse the oil. Off the heat I added in a finely chopped fresh red pepper I happened to have in the fridge.
I tossed the hot, drained pasta with the oil (in the pot still warm from cooking the spaghetti) and just a couple TB of pasta cooking water. A shower of fresh ground black pepper and a sprinkle of cheese brought this dish to the table.
"I'm going to be requesting this," James said between mouthfuls. "Is that okay?"
Request this easy are cheerfully taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment