Sunday, June 10, 2012

Something New With Collard Greens

Still working on yesterday's harvest.
Tonight I stirred up a bean and greens soup topped off with turkey meatballs.
First the meatballs, I combined ground turkey with eggs, bread crumbs, grated cheese, chili peppers, thyme, S&P, and minced garlic. I formed the mixture into balls and baked them for about 20 minutes at 375º. Meanwhile I sautéed some onions and chopped garlic in hot olive oil along with thyme, dried basil and chiles. After about 6 minutes I poured in a good quantity of white wine and let that cook down until the pot was almost dry. Then I added in several cups of chopped collard greens and about 5 cups of chicken broth. I let the greens simmer in the broth for about 10 minutes and then added in cooked white beans and let the pot simmer for about 5 minutes more. Just before serving I popped the flavorful meatballs into the soup to heat through and then served our garden fresh soup supper sprinkled with grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment