Sunday, March 10, 2013

Early St Patrick's Day Dinner


It' not so pretty a picture, but it is one of James' favorite dinners: glazed corned beef and buttered potatoes. I always start the same way. First I cook the corned beef brisket and it's spices in the crockpot (on low) -- usually overnight, with 2 halved onions, 2 stalks celery, 2 bay leaves, 10 peppercorns and 10 whole cloves. That slow moist cooking makes the meat irresistibly tender. For the finishing touch since it's publication I have been using a glaze recipe from the Silver Palette Cookbook. 1 cup dark orange marmalade, 4 TB of dark brown sugar, 4 TB of dijon mustard mixed together and poured on top of the cooked meat. The beef with the glaze cooks for 30 minutes at 400º (sometimes I go to 450º to make sure James gets crisp bits of sugary glaze). Over the years I've used other jams, usually whatever homemade variety I happen to have handy -- always with stellar results. The best part of this dinner? Corned beef hash for breakfast. A reason for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment