Saturday, March 16, 2013

Mussels and Fries


A classic Belgian bistro combo familiar in restaurants around the country and in Northern France. The fries served crisp and hot next to (so they don't get soggy) mussels in a buttery wine broth, Moules Marinières. For our quickly steamed seafood I jumped off with Julia Child's classic recipe. First I brought 2 cups of wine, 6 Tb of butter, 1 bay leaf, 2 smashed cloves garlic, a couple grinds of black pepper, and several sprigs fresh thyme to a boil in a heavy enameled pot (hmm it was a Belgian pot now that I think about it). After two minutes I poured in 3 pounds of mussels, cover the pan and let the mussels steam for 5 minutes until opened. I served our tender, briny seafood in wide bowls topped with the flavorful broth. Fast, easy delicious -- no wonder it's a classic.



No comments:

Post a Comment