Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tacos For Dinner

Tacos.
A great place for leftovers,
I had a chuck roast in the freezer thanks to our CSA's seemingly never ending array of long cooking cuts. Working off an idea I saw online I coated the (defrosted) meat with a mixture of cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and seared it on all sides in a pan of hot olive oil. I covered the bottom of the crock pot with a sliced onion and put the meat on top. Then I mixed together 1 cup of stock, 2 TB tomato paste, 1 chopped chipotle pepper in it's adobo sauce, and 4 chopped cloves of garlic and poured it over the meat in  the pot. The crock pot simmered away on low for about 8 hours until the meat was super tender. I shredded the beef and put it back in the pot to wait for dinner.
When James was ready for dinner all I had to do was assemble the parts. The meat rested on top of corn tortillas crisped in a skillet. Dressed with a bit of salad greens, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and a few shreds of pickled onions I happened to have in the fridge that complemented the spicy beef perfectly I brought an easy summer dinner to the table.
Tacos are the kind of thing I always think needs a side dish. Rice or beans or salad. But tonight topped with delicious flavors tacos on their own were just right and summery. This might become a regular dish around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment