Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crock Pot Risotto

Here's one I never would have thought of. I found a recipe for a vegetarian risotto on the internet and figured I could make that a little more tasty -- in case the risotto-ness didn't quite sell -- with, you guessed it -- bacon. I quickly sautéed lardons of slab bacon, a diced onion and a clove of garlic in olive oil until the bacon was just crisping at the edges and the onion was soft. Then I added 1 1/4 cup of arborio rice and stirred over medium heat until every grain was coated and shiny. I put the mixture from the frying pan, along with 1/2 cup white wine. 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, S&P, a knob of butter, and and one bunch of roughly chopped Swiss chard, into the ceramic crock pot dish, covered and turned the heat to high. About two hours later, sprinkled with shredded Parmesan -- we had a pretty respectable, ready for dinner no-stir risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment