Friday, January 22, 2010

Irish Beef Stew


When the weather turns cold and rainy -- even here in LA -- there is nothing like a warm stew to brighten spirits. And, it's a super simple, perfect make-ahead meal.
I dredged the chopped chuck in flour and quickly seared the pieces in a mix of butter and oil. As the pieces browned I layered them in a dutch oven in which I had already sauteed a handful of cloves of chopped garlic. Then I added in a bottle of Guinness, 1 cup of red wine, a dollop of tomato paste, a good pinch of thyme, a sprinkle of worcestershire sauce and about 6 cups of beef broth and brought the pot to a boil. I let the mixture simmer over low heat for an hour, covered.
Meanwhile I sauteed carrots, chopped onions, and baby potatoes in butter until just golden. When the stew had cooked for an hour I added in the vegetables and allowed the pot to simmer for 45 minutes until the vegetables were tender and flavorful. As a last step I stirred in a bag of thawed frozen peas and the stew was ready to serve or wait in the fridge for another dinner.
Made on the weekend, even better during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment