Thursday, October 28, 2010

Remains Of The Dinner

James was so hungry (and I was still at work), there was no time for a pre-dinner photo of the chicken pot pie I left in the freezer for him to bake.
Needing to find a use for the poached chicken left from making stock over the weekend I whipped up a bit of dough in the food processor (3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup butter, pinch of salt and 2 TB ice water) and popped that in the fridge to chill while I made the filling.
I sautéed half an onion, 2 peeled and thinly sliced carrots, 1 sliced celery stalk, and small cubes of slab bacon in 3 TB butter for about 10 minutes until the onions were translucent but not browned. I stirred in about 1/4 cup of flour, let it cook for just a minute and added about 1 tsp of dried thyme, 1 1/4 cups of chicken stock and about 1 cup of whole milk and let the mixture simmer over low heat, stirring often, for another 10 minutes until creamy and thickened. Then I stirred in the chopped chicken meat (about 1 1/2 cups), chopped parsley, a splash of marsala wine, and the kernels cut from two ears of corn and seasoned with salt and pepper. I let everything simmer for a minute of two more and then poured the filling mixture into a baking dish ( a 2-3 serving kitchen bowl), rolled out the crust, lad the crust on the filling, crimped the dough's edges with a fork, cut a vent in the center and wrapped it up -- with baking instructions -- to wait in the freezer for James to bake.
New life for leftover chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment