Saturday, November 20, 2010

Clams A New Way

In Spain, I'm told, in the area known as Galicia famous for it's seafood a full meal might be a variety of simply cooked seafood and crusty bread. Sounds like our kind of place.
For a little of the Spanish coast at home I stirred up clams with an unusual thickened wine and broth sauce, called Fisherman style -- at least by Food and Wine magazine.
I sautéed a chopped onion and three minced cloves of garlic in olive oil for about 4 minutes, and then stirred in about 1/2 TB of flour and made a sort of quick roux. Into the flour went 1 cup of clam juice into which I had crushed a pinch of saffron threads (and let sit for 10 minutes) and about 1/4 cup of dry white wine. When the liquid came to a simmer (while I was stirring) I added in a pile of scrubbed Manila clams, covered the pot and let it cook over high heat for about 6 minutes until all the clams had opened. I added in some salt and pepper, gave everything a good stir, and brought dinner -- right in the pot to the table, along with a warm loaf of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment