Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pork Cutlets In Mushroom Sauce

It's hard to think of something new. Meats and sides run through my head until I just pull something off the shelf and decide to work around it.
Although James will say he doesn't like pork (hmm perhaps he isn't aware that bacon, prosciutto, and the roast he practically licked off the plate from our neighbor Joyce were all pork). I think what he doesn't like, and quite reasonably so, is dry, overcooked, flavorless pork. What James doesn't like is bad food and that knowledge haunts every trip to the grocery store.
And so I set out on my pork chop challenge.
I pulled out boneless loin chops and sliced and pounded them into thin cutlets. I dredged the cutlets in seasoned flour and lightly browned them (not cooked through) in a combination of hot oil and butter. I set the meat aside and added chopped onions and sliced mushrooms to the pan and let it cook until the mushrooms were a bit soft and had given up their liquid. Then I poured in about 1/2 cup of white wine, deglazed the pan, and cooked down until the wine was just about gone. Then I poured in some heavy cream -- just enough to get a nice color to the sauce and let the whole mixture simmer for about five minutes. I added the pork back into the skillet and let the meat heat through (and finish cooking at the same time).
James cleaned his plate -- even dragging the green beans through the rich sauce. "This was really good," he said. "And, I don't even like pork."

No comments:

Post a Comment