Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins

A couple apples just past their prime in the fridge seemed like a good excuse for muffins.
I creamed one stick of butter with 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Next I mixed in one egg, 1/2 cup buttermilk, and 1/2 cup yogurt. To the wet ingredients I added 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon ( I stirred the dry ingredients together before adding them to the mixture). When the batter was just mixed I folded in two apples, peeled and chopped. I spooned the batter into 12 greased and floured cupcake tins, sprinkled the top of each muffin with more brown sugar (abot 1/4 cup total) and baked the muffins for 10 minutes at 450º and then about 6 minutes longer at 400º.
Next time I think I might sauté the apples or even shred them to make the pieces more tender, but for a hurry up pantry-ready breakfast treat these were just right -- and pretty great with a bit of peanut butter spread on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment