Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Another Peach Project

So many peaches.
What's a girl to do?
I gathered up our pinkish fruits for a quick batch of fallen fruit preserves. I combined the peeled chopped fruit with sugar and let the mixture sit in a bowl for a couple hours until a good quantity of juice came out. I strained the fruit and poured the sweetened juice into a pot, along with the juice of one lemon, and let it boil over high heat until reduced and the temperature reached 220ยบ. I added the strained fruit into the pot and let the mixture cook until the fruit just was tender and barely caramelized on the edges. I ladled the cooked preserves into hot canning jars, sealed the tops and processed for 5 minutes in a hot water bath. Preserved summer, backyard fresh -- just waiting for a slice of homemade bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment