Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Tidy Little Package

I needed something easy. Not too much to clean up and easy on the diet. I'm, once again, trying to eat light, and yet make food that's tasty enough for James without making two totally separate dinners. Some nights I make James an extra sauce or add a sprinkling of cheese. Tonight I went for totally customizable tin foil packets -- an American version of "en papillote" with tin foil replacing the more elegant artfully folded parchment paper in the French original. No matter how you wrap it, these packets essentially steam in their own juices puffing up to a dramatic presentation. For mine I added the vegetables and scallops with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper. For James I layered sliced red onion, scallops, tomatoes (ok those were only in mine), arugula, fresh corn kernels (James' favorite part), and chopped basil on a bed of white wine, olive oil and butter. I closed up the packet and popped it in a 450ยบ oven. Twelve minutes later we had a light, diet friendly dinner, heavy on the vegetables -- and ready two ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment