Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sometimes A Man Needs Cake

"I know I tell you know to have it around," James said wistfully peering into the kitchen. "But I really wish we had some cake."
I don't need much more encouragement than that and after a quick glance into the fridge I pulled out the last of a tray of Costco organic blueberries and started to mix. For something simple and tried and true I searched Joy Of Baking and came up with this blueberry "buckle" or streusel topped cake.
I creamed 1/2 stick of butter with 1/2 cup of white sugar and then added in 1 egg and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Next I added 1 cup of flour (mixed with 1 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt) alternating with 1/3 cup of milk. I spread that batter into a greased 8"x8" pan. I covered the batter with blueberries and then loosely spread the streusel topping (1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon with 1/4 cup of butter cut in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs) over the berries.
After 45 minutes at 350ยบ James had fresh blueberry cake ready to top with rich vanilla ice cream. A perfect summer dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment