Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Crock Pot Strikes Again

Another night another crock pot dish. Things have been pretty busy around here and with no oven it's nice to get dinner sorted early in the day and just have to wait for it to cook.
There are many slow cooker macaroni and cheese recipes out there but most call for cooking the noodles first. If I'm going to do that I might as well just stir up the sauce too. Part of the appeal of the crock pot is very few dishes to clean. A one pot cooker. Hence the popularity.
So I forged boldly ahead and dumped uncooked macaroni -- I used Italian Gemelli (8 oz) instead of more popular elbows, 1 can condensed milk, 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 eggs (beaten and mixed with the milked), S&P, and grated cheese -- lots of grated cheese.  I used about 3 1/2 cups of cheese mixed into the pasta and then sprinkled the rest on top. Cooking on low keeps the egg custard from separating while the noodles simmer to cheesy tenderness.
I love my crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment