Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Apples Keep Coming

With so many varieties, apples have a long, fruitful season. Mercifully they are exceptionally versatile because all kind of apples show up in all kinds of dishes around here.
The other day I asked James to pull a package of ground beef out of the freezer and somehow he managed to thaw the lone pie dough I had tucked away instead. Clearly that was a sign. That along with the bowl of apples taking up space in the fridge.
I turned those ingredients, along with some apple sauce I made with the leftover cooked fruit while canning apple jelly, in a quick pie. First I rolled the dough out to a thin round and sprinkled the pastry with sugar. Next, following an idea for apple tarts I saw online and plan on making my own, I spread a thinnish layer of apple sauce on the dough (about 6-8 TB). Piled on top of the apple sauce were peeled apple slices tossed with lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and sugar (about 1/2 cup). I folded up the crust around the apples for a rustic, no pan dessert. 
The pie sat in the fridge for 30 minutes while the oven preheated to 400ยบ. Just before baking I brushed the crust with egg wash and sprinkled the dough with sugar. After 35 minutes in the oven I pulled out a fragrant, crisp, fall-worthy treat for James.
"Is that for eating now?" He said peering into the kitchen.
It's always time for dessert around here, especially during apple season.

No comments:

Post a Comment