Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I'm Out Of Everything Cake

Banana Blueberry Pound Cake. An Invention.
I started off to use up the buttermilk in the fridge and make James a quick poundcake to have while I am gone. It started off to be so easy.
I creamed 1 cup of butter with 3 cups of sugar and was just about to add the eggs when I realized I had cooked some of the precious few I had left for James' breakfast. Not to worry I added in a whole banana and 2 TB of vegetable oil to substitute for the missing eggs and then added in the two eggs I had. In a separate bowl I mixed together 3 cups of flour, 3/4 tsp of baking soda and 1 tsp of baking powder (for safety sake). I went for the buttermilk and instead of the cup I had planned on I found a 1/2 cup at best. I mixed 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt. I alternated adding the buttermilk and the flour mixtures to the mixer (starting and ending with the buttermilk). The batter looked creamy and smooth. I slipped in a tsp of vanilla and started eyeing the pint of blueberries in the fridge. We probably wouldn't eat them before I left. James loves blueberries. Banana blueberry seemed like a good combination -- in they went. I gave the batter one last stir and poured it into a greased (though not quite well enough) 10" tube pan. The super moist flavorful cake baked for 70 minutes at 325ยบ.
Maybe not my prettiest cake, but no complaints on the taste. I might just try this one again -- on purpose.



No comments:

Post a Comment