Friday, July 20, 2012

Zucchini Soup

It's not just the greens that are taking over the garden. With plenty of water and sunlight every couple days I seem to have a zucchini the size of my arm -- oops, forgot to harvest that one.
Those big boys aren't much good for delicate sautés but just right for a simple flavorful soup.
I started a pot with some olive oil and sautéed onion and garlic (1 onions and 3 big cloves). Next I added in chunks of zucchini (I think I used 3 squashes) and let them soften just a bit in the oil. I covered the squash with a combination of chicken stock (a 4 cup package) and water and let everything simmer for about 17 minutes until the squash was soft. The next step is where the real favor comes in. When the soup in progress had cooled a bit I ladled it into the blender (I did half a batch at a time) along with a handful of basil leaves and a good sized chunk (about 1/4 cup in each blender full) of soft, fresh goat cheese, seasoned with S&P and a dash of chili peppers and topped with a quick sauté of tender smaller zucs for a little fresh veggie texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment