Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Search Goes On

While I was in Shanghai completely by accident I fell in love -- completely obsessed -- with the local pork dumplings Sheng Jian Bao. Cooked in massive iron pans until crisp (really almost hard) on the bottom and filled with soup and flavorful meat these mini buns are popular throughout the city and I had never seen them anywhere before. Since that trip I have been looking for more. Trying to re-create that taste.
After reading Chowhound and Yelp reviews for Shau May in Monterey Park I traveled down to the food court style restaurant hoping to find my beloved dumplings. Were these too doughy? The broth too sweet? I can't place exactly what was different but these were a far cry from my street side delight in Shanghai. I'm still looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment