Saturday, May 1, 2010

Small Harvest Dinner

Our backyard is the best place to shop.
While sorting through and staking plants and pulling a few weeds I made a small harvest just perfect to turn into James' dinner -- delicious and not much work.
I cut the freshly dug potatoes and peeled carrots into chunks and placed the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan. On top went a trussed chicken, the cavity heavily seasoned with salt and pepper and stuffed with lemons (whole pricked all over with a fork and wedges). I stared the chicken breast down (I don't usually do that but I read something on line and figured I'd try it) at 350º. After half an hour I gave the vegetables a stir, turned the chicken, and gave everything a good wash of olive oil, salt and pepper. Another 30 minutes and I stirred some chopped sage (found it in the front garden) into to the vegetables, added a pat of butter to the chicken breast and turned the oven up to 450º to give the skin a little color (so much for Marcella Hazan, I'll stick with high heat chicken roasting).
With a lightly dressed salad (you don't need much when it's this fresh) our home-grown, garden fresh dinner was ready.
"These might be the best potatoes I've ever tasted," said James . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment