Friday, May 14, 2010

Potato Pizza

Start in the morning, finish at night.
I got up early today and quickly mixed up a batch of pizza dough (Jim Lahey's no knead version) which I let rise for 2 hours at room temperature and stored in the fridge while I was at work. For the topping, determined to work my way through the "My Bread" cookbook, I chose Lahey's version with thinly sliced potatoes, chopped onion, and rosemary.
I sliced peeled potatoes on a mandolin about 1/16 of an inch thick and left them to soak in salted water for about 12 hours in the fridge while I was at work.
When I got home all I had to do was pre-heat the oven to 500ยบ. Let the dough come to room temperature. Pat the potatoes dry and mix them with ample salt, pepper, rosemary, chopped onion, and olive oil and spread them across the dough I had stretched in a oiled 13x17 baking pan. After 25 minutes in the oven the potatoes were tender but crisp on the edges and the crust was golden brown.
Lahey's version is simple, just the seasoned spuds and olive oil. The big man is a big fan of cheese so I tossed a few handfuls of grated Fontina on top about five minutes before the pizza came out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment