Thursday, May 27, 2010

Restocking The Garden

There is always something to do in the garden
We've got a few somewhat shady spots in the yard. In the winter I fill those spots with kale and chard and broccoli -- things that like and can take a good bit of cool weather. This summer I am going to try lettuces and leafy greens in those cooler spots and see if we can grow our fresh summer salads.
For a little variety in my first summer batch of seed starting I picked "little gem" romaine. I've never grown them before but they are a favorite of super chef Thomas Keller and make frequent appearances on his restaurant's menus and in his cookbooks. I just had to try a few rows. Chicory and extra peppery wild arugula have the kind of bitter bite James loves in a salad or a sauté so I like to keep a steady supply going. While I was starting seeds I tossed in a few beans I had left over from last year's seeds, they love the summer heat, and some mini white cucumbers that sounded interesting in this year’s seed catalogues.
Fingers crossed for summer salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment