Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Asparagus Pizza

I'm not sure where I got the idea. I must have seen it somewhere but I just don't remember. But I had pizza dough in the freezer and a couple bunches of asparagus in the drawer. I stretched the thawed dough out across my oiled baking pan. Holding each asparagus spear by the woody stem I used a vegetable peeler to shave off thin strands which I dropped into a bowl along with two thinly sliced shallots, a 1/2 tsp of crushed red peppers, two minced cloves of garlic, about 3 TB of olive oil and, of course, salt and pepper.
I spread about 1/3 of the asparagus over the stretched crust and then covered that with 1/4 cup of grated parmesan and about 5 oz of mozzarella (fresh but not the kind packed in liquid -- it makes the pizza too watery) cut into 1/2 inch cubes. On top of the cheese I spread the rest of the asparagus mixture in a big delicious tangle. The pizza baked for 20 minutes at 500º.
"I can just eat one more slice," James said before he reached for almost 3 more. "It's good."

No comments:

Post a Comment